Asylum, VAWA, U Visas

Protection from Harm

Asylum is a relief that is available to those who flee their homeland because they fear persecution and the authorities at home fail or refuse to ensure their safety.

At RelisLaw, we work on many asylum cases, being deeply committed to justice and human rights. Dr. Relis vigorously pursues every single avenue for each member of our client family, to enjoy a safe new beginning in the U.S.

You may apply for asylum–either after entering the U.S., or as a defense to removal (deportation) proceedings–if you have been persecuted in the past or have a well-founded fear of persecution in the future, due to at least one of the following grounds:

  • Political opinion
  • Nationality
  • Race/ethnicity
  • Religion
  • Membership in a particular social group,
    • This encompasses very many categories,  and can include gender-based violence or sexual orientation

In most cases, you must claim asylum within one year of entering the U.S. You will be eligible for work authorization while your case is being processed, and a successful outcome will entitle you to permanent residence.

If you are at risk of deportation, Relislaw will do everything possible for you to remain in the U.S. through protections of Asylum, Withholding of Removal and/or the Convention Against Torture.

“I had great experience with Dr. Tamara Relis. Tamara was vary caring about my issue, and she treated me like one of her family member. She tried to help me as much as she can. I like how she patient and that she has good knowledge of asylum cases.I got great advice during my time working with her.

This firm done good job preparing for my asylum petition. Very professional I highly recommend them”

-Omaymah A.

VAWA (Violence Against Women Act 1994) – protection for women, men, and other family members

You may also qualify, affirmatively or defensively, for immigration relief under VAWA (Violence Against Women Act) if you have been a victim of domestic violence or sexual assault by a U.S. citizen or green card holder.

If you are in removal / deportation court, we vigorously advocate in relevant cases for cancellation of removal for battered spouses.

U Visas

If you have been a victim of certain crimes in the U.S. by anyone (including undocumented persons), we can assist you with a U visa application. This type of relief then allows for adjusting your status to a legal permanent resident.

You deserve to be safe. To discuss an asylum claim or seek immigration relief as a victim of violence, please contact RelisLaw. We’re here for you!