The L-1 Visa for Temporary Workers

The L-1 visa was created in the Immigration Act of 1990 to allow American companies with foreign operations to transfer skilled employees to the United States for up to seven years. The L-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa category and generally allows a U.S. employer to transfer an employee or executive from one of its foreign offices in order to bring their knowledge and ability to a U.S. office. 

The L-1 visa is one of the most popular options for international companies looking to transfer employees to the U.S. L-1 visas are nonimmigrant, meaning they do not provide a direct path to citizenship for visa holders. There are two categories of L-1 visas: L-1A and L-1B. L-1A visas are intended for managers, executives, and people with specialized knowledge, while L-1B visas are intended for employees who have specialized knowledge in another role.

L-1 employees who wish to come and work in the United States must first have been working for the organization for at least one continuous year in the three years preceding their entry into the U.S. L-1A employees must be an executive or manager who will perform similar duties in a U.S. office. L-1B employees, on the other hand, must demonstrate “specialized knowledge”, which the USCIS defines as “knowledge you have about the petitioning organization’s product, service, research, equipment, techniques, management, or other interests and its application in international markets, or an advanced level of knowledge or expertise in the organization’s processes and procedures.”

L-1A visa holders may be granted up to 7 years of stay in the United States, while L-1B visa holders may be granted up to 5 years of stay in the U.S. Both categories must be renewed periodically in order to maintain their legal status in the United States.

There are many advantages to using an L-1 visa to sponsor a foreign worker. By allowing foreign firms to transfer key employees to the U.S., the L-1 visa program helps to attract top talent and encourage global competitiveness. The L-1 visa also allows foreign workers to temporarily work in the U.S. with legal residency status, and gain valuable experience.

The L-1 visa is often used by employers of seasonal workers, such as in the tourism industry. These employees often travel to the U.S. to work for a designated amount of time, before leaving and returning the next year when business picks up again. For more information about the L-1 visa or other options available to you, contact RelisLaw at 1-866-916-1569 today. We also offer consultations via Skype, Zoom, and other platforms.

For Further Learning, Check out our Video: How can I get a visa to work in the U.S.?

The following two tabs change content below.


We help people from around the world to live and work freely in the U.S., to achieve their dreams, unite families, or escape persecution. No matter what immigration service you need, RelisLaw will provide caring and dependable counsel to you and aggressive advocacy to vigorously fight for you using every available legal avenue. As a global firm, we work with people in countries around the world. We meet clients across the U.S., as well as in New York, Toronto, and Montréal. We also meet with clients globally, located in any country, via Skype and other platforms.