Employers: What to Know About L-1A Visas

One of the best options for international companies looking to transfer employees to U.S. offices is the L-1 visa. L-1 visas are nonimmigrant, meaning they do not provide a direct path to citizenship for visa holders.  There are two tiers of L-1 visas: L-1A and L-1B. L-1B visas are used by employees who have some kind of specialized training or knowledge but are not managers or executives. This blog will focus on Read More

What to Know About O-1 Visas

Non-U.S. citizens with “extraordinary ability” in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics—as well as non-U.S. citizens with “extraordinary achievement” in the movie or television industry, with national or international recognition for those extraordinary achievements—might be eligible for the O-1 visa. O-1A visas are reserved for those in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, and Read More

A Closer Look at the EB-2 National Interest Waiver

EB-2, the second preference category of employment-based visas, usually requires employer sponsorship before the USCIS will bring over foreign talent. Employers must show that they completed the labor certification (PERM) process and are therefore justified in offering the job to a noncitizen.  In some cases, though, foreign talent may obtain an EB-2 visa without employer sponsorship or, even, a job offer from a U.S. Read More

Want to Become a Naturalized U.S. Citizen?

The vast majority of U.S. citizens became citizens due to the virtue of their—and their parents’—birthplace. Other times, minor children become naturalized when one or more of their parents become naturalized. What this blog will focus on is the naturalization process for adults who choose to become U.S. citizens.  General Requirements Around 9 in 10 applicants for naturalization are adults (individuals 18 or older) Read More

How Does Asylum Work in the U.S.?

The number of asylum seekers in the U.S. has increased substantially since the new administration took office in D.C. The previous administration and COVID-19 protocols shifted a few long-standing asylum procedures, but we anticipate things gradually getting back to the status quo. This blog will serve as a general guide to those already in the U.S. or those who anticipate coming to the U.S. and filing for asylum in Read More

What to Know about the E-1 Visa

A fairly common self-petitioning visa used by certain entrepreneurs and higher-level employees to live and work in the U.S. is the E-visa. E-visas are further broken down into E-1, E-2, and E-3 categories. The first preference, E-1, is reserved for nationals of countries with which the U.S. has a commerce treaty or other agreement that allows for a free flow of goods and services between the two countries.  General Read More

Using the EB-1C Visa

While it’s not the easiest thing to get approved for a visa to work in the U.S. as an employee, there are numerous options for employees and employers to pursue. This blog will focus on the EB-1C visa, which is geared toward managers and executives who have spent time at multinational companies.  Manager or Executive  To figure out whether or not you qualify for the EB-1C visa, you first need to establish that you Read More

Bringing Your Parents Over to the U.S.

It’s natural to want to secure legal status for your parents. The good news is that, as long as you are a U.S. citizen, you have a way to do this through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Unfortunately, there is not typically a way for lawful permanent residents (green card holders) to legally bring over their parents.  Eligibility Besides the requirement of being a U.S. citizen, you must be at Read More

Explaining the E2 Visa

The first step for non-citizens’ staying in the U.S. for a substantial length of time (legally) is, generally, to obtain a visa. A nonimmigrant visa guarantees a temporary stay, while an immigrant visa is typically required for permanent residence.  For many entrepreneurs and small business owners, the E-2 Visa is a great option. Even though it is a nonimmigrant visa, it has an unlimited number of extensions for its Read More

Form I-130: Bringing Your Adult Children to the U.S. as a Green Card Holder

Having your family members across the globe as you sit in the U.S. is, understandably, difficult. You might have heard of the K1 visa, which allows foreign aliens to move to the U.S. in exchange for marrying a U.S. citizen within 90 days of their arrival. This has been popularized through 90 Day Fiancé and the show’s various spinoffs and is just one example of numerous visa types that can be used to bring over family Read More